People across the United States love to go camping. Camping vacations are some of the most popular around the country. It has been estimated that in 2011, Americans spent about 535 million days engaged in the activity. More that 40 million people took camping vacations in 2010. That amounted to 515 million outings. If you are thinking about planning a family vacation or a trip with your friends, it is hard to go wrong with a camping trip. Here are just some of the reasons to look to camping.
- You will get back in touch with nature. Whether you live in a city or in the suburbs, getting back in touch with nature is always a good thing. Camping vacations allow people to do just that. If you like spending time outside, going camping is the thing to do. It has been estimated that 87% of people who enjoy camping like to do multiple activities during their camping vacations.
- You can unplug from your technology. We all love our technology but the chance to unplug and take a break can be one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself. Every day, we are bombarded with information from just about every angle. Going camping lets you get away from technology and social media and reconnect with the people in your life who matter the most. If you go camping with your children, get them to take a time out from their electronic devices. They may complain at first but they will appreciate it.
- It is affordable. There are few vacations as affordable as camping vacations. Even if you go to a camp resort and rent the most luxurious cabin you can find, it will be less than staying in a hotel. Tent camping is the most popular and one of the most economical forms of camping. Not only will you save money on your lodging, you can save money on your meals and the activities you select. There are a ton of things you can do with your family that do not cost much when you are camping.
- You can reset your sleep cycle. Millions of Americans have problems sleeping. This is why pharmaceutical products that help people sleep bring in millions of dollars every year. The human, interior circadian rhythm evolved to coincide with the run rising and setting. Our bodies are programmed to release Melatonin when the sun goes down. That is the hormone that is associated with sleep. Years of looking at screens and using electric lights has thrown a lot of that off. Camping vacations feature sleeping under the stars and help people get back in touch with the circadian rhythm to get better sleep both during the vacation and afterwards.
- You get great exercise. Most campers engage in a lot of activities that take a lot of energy. They go hiking, swimming, canoeing, to name a few activities. Most adults spend most of their day looking at a computer screen. Most children and adolescents spend their day in front of a different kind of screen but a screen none the less. No one does this when they are camping. You can get a great workout on your camping vacations. That is one thing that makes family camping vacations a healthy way to spend time with your family.
- You strengthen the good germs that live inside you. Scientists have been looking a lot at the germs that live inside people. The good ones are needed to maintain proper health. This is called a person’s “microbiome.” When you spend time on camping vacations, you make your microbiome healthier. That can help your immune system, digestion and metabolism. Some studies have linked a healthy microbiome with a decrease in painful and unhealthy inflammation.
- Food tastes great outside. Dining out, when you are gathered around a camp fire, is a lot of fun and the food tastes great. It is not just the s’mores that taste great but cooking food on a stick or spike is always a good way to go.
There are a number of reasons that people in the United States love to go on camping vacations. These are just a few reasons that people may want to consider it.